Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Greg LaRock Workshop

I just finished the 3 day Greg LaRock workshop. Greg is a great teacher and I learned a lot.

I took a few notes but not nearly enough! I need to sit down and put as much as I can in writing so I don’t forget. I may do that here instead of starting a separate document.

The first day we meet in Laguna Canyon. Boy, these southern Cal artists really love the laguna Beach / Newport area. The canyon was nice but the traffic was right there and loud! Also, everything is so dead in So. Cal. right now. Not much color anywhere.

Anyhow, Greg started out with a demo painting. He’s a thoughtful teacher and very patient. It's always fun to watch a painting shape up from bare canvas.

This is his demo of a view down the street on a hazy day. Nice!

IMG_0716.jpg 
The second day we meet at the boardwalk at Balboa Island. Greg didn’t do a demo here. He wanted us to complete 3 or 4 small studies using only a #6 flat brush. He wanted us to deal with al of the clutter and variety.

On the third and final day we froze our butts off at the foot of Newport pier. A great setting but the fog was in thick and cold. It never burned off. Greg did another great demo of the pier. I learned a lot more but didn’t stay around after the demo to paint. Too cold! Most of the other attendees bailed as well.

Here is Greg's almost completed Demo:

IMG_0757.jpg

All n’ all, I really learned a lot over the three days. Greg’s a very good, unpretentious teacher. I’m definitely going to follow up with another workshop from him when he schedules some new ones. During the warmer months!

No comments:

Post a Comment