Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Welcome

Well, it’s been over a year since I wandered into an art gallery in Bozeman, Mt. and after admiring several beautiful, expensive paintings said, “Hey, I could learn to do that!” Uh huh...

So, I read a lot, looked at countless paintings, spent way too money on supplies, signed up for a painting class and off I went. It’s been an art version of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride ever since. Needless to say, after the enthusiasm died down, I was left with the realization that it wasn’t as easy as it looked. No surprise there.

I kept at it for a few months and then let it all slide to the back of the table. I probably completed less than a dozed attempts in a four or five month period. Still, while it’s not uncommon for me to get totally into something only to abandon it, there was always something nagging at me. Something that said this was more important to me than most of my other “crazy” hobbies.

So, I’m back at it again. The learning curve is still steep but I’m going to try and jump-start this by taking a few more workshops and getting on a more disciplined schedule of completing paintings and studies. I need to put this all on a goal oriented track or I’ll be hacking at it for another twenty years! I’m starting to understand the saying: The only way to learn to paint is to paint, paint, paint!

So, off I go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment