Saturday, March 15, 2008

Elin Pendleton - Day 1

When I first acquired the “Painting Disease” one of the first artist web sites I found that really captured my attention contained the work Elin Pendleton. Elin is a nationally known artist who lives in Southern California. That first visit to her web site left me thinking, “If I could paint like this – I’d be one happy old (OK, middle aged) man” I’ve followed her work ever since.

I knew right away that I wanted to attend one of Elin’s workshops but alas, they were always full or scattered around the country. When she scheduled a local class, I was all over it! So, here I am at the first day of her “Color Bootcamp”.


Much of Elin’s teaching revolves around a very practical and effective color system that she has developed. Once it makes sense – it really makes sense. It’s a lot to digest in a short amount of time. That’s why she calls it “Bootcamp”.

DAY 1
After some basic principles and setup info, Elin started right in explaining how her color theory works. I won’t go into details here but anyone interested can find out more here.

Elin started by discussing the handling of early morning light, did a wonderful demo and then launched us right into our own painting.

Elin is not only a great teacher but also a gracious host. After being offered a nice lunch, we resumed the discussions. I’m learning a ton. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment